Women's Professional Soccer: Goals from substitutes Natasha Kai in the 55th minute and Francielle in the 84th minute canceled out a goal by Lisa De Vanna in the 78th minute as fourth-seeded Sky Blue FC (8-8-5) reached the semifinals with a 2-1 win over the third-seeded Washington Freedom (8-8-5) in Boyds. Sky Blue FC will play Wednesday at St. Louis Athletica; the winner will travel to face the Los Angeles Sol on Saturday.
- Recent columns
- Sun In-Depth: Michael Phelps
- Michael Phelps [Pictures]
- Michael Phelps' return to the pool [Pictures]
- Michael Phelps away from the pool [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps' 22 Olympic medals
- Casting the Michael Phelps movie [Pictures]
See more photos »
- Colleges and Universities
- Highway and Road Disasters
See more topics »
Navy football: Analyst Randy Cross has been assigned to work CBS College Sports Network's Midshipmen games this season.
Indoor football: Garry "J.R." Cipra, who led American Indoor Football Association kickers in scoring with 172 points and helped lead the Mariners to a 9-5 record, signed a deal to return in 2010. He's a physical education teacher at Montebello Elementary/Middle.
Men's college soccer: The national champion Maryland men's program has gathered the No. 2-ranked recruiting class in the nation, according to Soccer America and College Soccer News. Akron was ranked No. 1.
College rowing: Former assistant Steve Perry was named head coach of Navy's lightweight crew. Perry returns to Annapolis after spending four years as head coach of Dartmouth's lightweight crew.
- From Sun staff and news services