Phelps completed a busy day by beating Peirsol in the 100-meter backstroke at the Santa Clara (Calif.) Grand Prix last night, the first time the six-time Olympic gold medalist has defeated Peirsol in a backstroke event.
- Recent columns
- Sun In-Depth: Michael Phelps
- Michael Phelps [Pictures]
- Michael Phelps away from the pool [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps' 22 Olympic medals
- Casting the Michael Phelps movie [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps gives swim lessons to city students
See more photos »
- VIDEO: Olympics 2012: Michael Phelps in London
- Jeff Conine
- Roger Federer
See more topics »
Phelps also picked up wins in the 100 free and 200 individual medley yesterday.
Phelps has one tuneup left before the U.S. Olympic trials begin June 29 in Omaha, Neb.
• Tennis // Rafael Nadal beat defending champion Roger Federer, 7-5, 6-7 (3), 6-3, to win the ATP Hamburg Masters in Germany. ... No. 4 seed Jelena Jankovic won her second straight WTA Italian Open title in Rome, defeating Alize Cornet, 6-2, 6-2.
• NBA // More than four months after Andrew Bynum injured his left knee, the Los Angeles Lakers center will have arthroscopic surgery Wednesday.
• Half-Ironman // Jeff Conine, 41, a former Oriole who retired from baseball after last season, placed 1,376th overall and 220th among men 40-44 in the Ford Ironman 70.3 Florida in Orlando. The race consisted of a 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bicycle ride and 13.1-mile run. Conine's combined time was 6 hours, 39 minutes, 52 seconds. Paul Amey, 34, of Great Britain finished first overall in 3:52:51.
• Golf // Ken Lampard and Kenny Smith closed with a 67 for a 36-hole total of 131 and a four-stroke victory in the Baltimore Municipal Golf Corporation two-man championship.
• Major League Soccer // Sacha Kljestan scored the winning goal in the 76th minute, and Chivas USA (2-4-2) won, 3-1, over D.C. United (2-6-0) late Saturday in Carson, Calif.