"I think it's just smarter," Phelps said Monday. "Sort of thinking of everything and thinking how things went here, I think it's just a better option for me to be able to swim as best I can. And it's going to give me the best opportunity to swim well. Being able to take those three 200s out, it's going to give me a little more energy for the other events and an extra day to recover from the 400 IM, and the 200 fly obviously is something that's important to me and that's the next day as well."
- Sun In-Depth: Michael Phelps
- Michael Phelps [Pictures]
- Michael Phelps away from the pool [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps' 22 Olympic medals
- Casting the Michael Phelps movie [Pictures]
- Pictures: Michael Phelps gives swim lessons to city students
See more photos »
- VIDEO: Olympics 2012: Michael Phelps in London
- Michael Phelps
- 2012 Summer Olympics
“[Phelps] will be removing the individual 200 freestyle from his Olympic program,” Bowman tweeted. “This will give him a full slate of 7 events.
“This change will allow him to focus more energy on relays for Team USA.”
Phelps’ seven events now are: the 100 and 200-meter butterfly, 200 and 400-meter individual medley, 400-meter freestyle relay, 800-meter freestyle relay and 400-meter medley relay
"The possibility of adding three relays, it ends up being a lot," Phelps said. "This isn't another Beijing; this is London. ... It depends on how big of a cherry I want to put on the top of my sundae, and I think what I have right now is plenty big."