NEW KENT – New Kent County residents will be hopping, walking, and ziplining this Saturday.
A few events of interest include:
Walk in the Forest
The rain or shine event’s activities include:
- 7 a.m.: Guided birding trip (led by the Williamsburg Bird Club)
- 10 a.m.: Guided nature hikes start every half-hour until 2 p.m.
- 10 a.m.: Exhibits open and free seedlings available. Choose from: baldcypress, flowering dogwood, eastern redbud, persimmon, and Chickasaw plum.
Hiking trails open at 7 a.m. and maps will be available at the Education Center.
The “Goods from the Woods” exhibits include: Firewise Community Information, Leave No Trace Wildlife Identification with the Virginia Living Museum American Tree Farm System Information, Virginia Waterfowlers’ Association Papermaking, Leaf Rubbing, and Animal Track Sampling.
Bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the day.
For more information, contact Lisa Deaton at: (804) 966-2201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Makemie Woods Community Play Day
Makemie Woods is approaching 50 years of non-profit summer camp adventures and is celebrating with a “Community Play Day” at 3700 Ropers Church Road in Lanexa.
Tentative Event Schedule:
- 9:45 a.m.: Beginner Ziplines - Run #1*
- 10 a.m. – noon: Archery open (participants must be at least 9 years old)
- 10 a.m. – noon: Canoes and rowboats available. (Parent must be present and a release form signed)
- 10:30 a.m. Beginner Ziplines - Run #2*
- 11:00 a.m. "Tree Tour" – an educational hike to learn more about the trees in our region
- 11:30 –1 PM: Lunch available for purchase
- 12:30 Beginner Ziplines - Run #3*
- 1:00 p.m.: Meet our reptiles! An up-close visit with captive bred snakes
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Canoeing/Rowboating available (Parent must be present and a release form signed)
- 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Archery open (participants must be at least 9 years old)
- 1:30 p.m.: Beginner Ziplines - Run #4*
- 2:30 p.m.: Beginner Ziplines - Run #5*
- 4:00p.m.: Storytelling concert with "Champion Liar" Anthony Burcher (www.anthonyburcher.com)
*Zip-line reservations/restrictions: The zip lines are "hand stop,” different from many other types. Participants take off and land at ground level, with the ground dropping off under the cable. There is no climbing involved, and many adults and even seniors have participated.
Participants must be at least 10 years old, have a signed release form, be in good health, and be able to reach one arm over their head.
The zip lines are not recommended for people with recent surgery, weak or previously injured knees or ankles, or persons with low bone density or other orthopedic concerns.
Participants and parents MUST sign an informed consent form.
While the camp does have secondary insurance for injuries that occur on our property, we recommend that participants have health insurance.
For more information, visit: www.makwoods.org.
Spring Fling/Summer Camp/Education Expo
The event will include: student performances, an art show, summer camp vendors, a themed basket raffle and silent auction, fire safety, New Kent Forestry, inflatables, a New Kent animal adoption stand, crafts and games, a fun run, shopping opportunities with vendors, karaoke, concessions, and more.
See the March 20 Tidewater Review for a complete listing of upcoming events in your community.