Man involved in high-speed chase in New Kent sentenced to three years

NEW KENT – A Richmond man has been sentenced to three years in prison for leading police on a high-speed chase in New Kent County.

Joseph J. Boyd, 42, was sentenced Monday in New Kent Circuit Court to a total of three years in prison, five years with two suspended for eluding police (endangerment), a felony. He was also sentenced to four years with all suspended on three misdemeanor charges – driving with a revoked license; second offense (reduced from felony driving after declared habitual offender), failing to stop at the scene of an accident, and reckless driving (speeding over 80 mph).

“He’s 42 years-old, and since 1991, he has spent 10 years in prison, evaded an officer, and was at large for a year when he was picked up by Hanover County,” said Commonwealth’s Attorney Linwood Gregory, who recommended that Judge Richard Y. Atlee, Jr. exceed the sentencing guidelines of 2 1/2 years so that Boyd receive treatment for cocaine addiction.

Judge Atlee followed the Commonwealth’s recommendations and required that Boyd enroll in the Indian Creek Correctional Center substance abuse therapeutic community program.

The charges stem from May 28, when Boyd fled from police after a traffic stop on Interstate 64.

According to the New Kent County Sheriff’s Office, Boyd was clocked on I-64 traveling 89 mph in a 70 mph zone.

New Kent Deputy D. Teagle stopped Boyd and asked him for his license, which he could not provide.

“As Deputy Teagle was checking his information, Boyd put the vehicle into drive and fled away,” said New Kent Detective Lieutenant Joey McLaughlin. “Deputy Teagle pursued him until Boyd ran his vehicle into another deputy’s vehicle.”

Teagle stopped the pursuit after Boyd started traveling westbound on I-64 east. The deputy instead obtained warrants on Boyd for felony eluding, hit and run, driving after being declared a habitual offender, reckless driving, and destruction of property.

Boyd turned himself into Hanover County authorities over a year later and was held without bond.

Boyd went before a grand jury in July, and faced trial in September, when Judge Thomas B. Hoover rejected a plea agreement. He was tried once again on October 21, when he was convicted.

Martin can be reached by phone at 804-885-0040.