Tribune Media Services
3:16 PM EDT, April 22, 2013
Follow these tips to keep your resume polished and packed with some punch:
1. If you include an objective, indicate what you hope to do for the employer, rather than what the employer can do for you.
2. In the "Experience" section of your resume, state your achievements or accomplishments, not just duties or responsibilities.
3. Consider quantifying your achievements using dollar amounts, percentages, and so on to make their value more visible.
4. When skills and abilities are varied, group them according to categories for easier comprehension. This is especially important if your job history includes various professions.
5. Include a section that draws together skills and abilities you have gained in previous and current work experience.
6. Consider including a "Highlights" section to draw attention to special accomplishments or achievements at previous or current jobs.
7. If you have a noticeable gap in your employment, consider omitting dates and indicating instead the number of years in each position.
8. Summarize your qualifications and work experiences to avoid having to repeat yourself in the job description.
9. Instead of just listing your achievements, present them as challenges or problems solved, indicating what you did when something went wrong or needed to be fixed.
10. Near the top of the page, consider using a focused, detailed profile that explains your varied experience and expertise.
Copyright © 2014, Tribune Media Services