Dewayne Bevil can be reached at 407-420-5477 or email@example.com.
- Bio | E-mail | Recent columns
- Disney debuts Characters In Flight Balloon
- Orlando theme park and attractions discounts, prices and hours
- Pictures: Top 50 theme-park attractions
- 'Am I tall enough yet?' Orlando-area theme park ride height restrictions
- Pictures: Orlando's newest rides and attractions
- Pictures: Upcoming Florida theme-park concerts
See more photos »
- Transportation Disasters
- Weather Reports
- Orlando Weather
See more topics »
Day heats up, wind picks upCentral Florida winds are fickle. It may be foolhardy to try to predict the pattern, but as we waited for gusts to die down and the balloon to lift back up, I wondered, "When is the breeziest time of day for us?"
"On a normal, typical average day when you don't have storms, it's going to be in the afternoon," says Amy Sweezey, a meteorologist at WESH-Channel 2.
"One of the main causes of wind is the sun heating the Earth. The land — the peninsula — heats hotter than the water, the ocean. That's why we get our sea breezes here too," Sweezey says.
"So generally when you get the hottest part of the day, when the land can heat up the most and you get the biggest temperature difference between the air over the land and air over the water, that's when you get the winds that blow the strongest.
Bottom line: "That generally happens in the afternoon," she says.
See for yourselfCharacters in Flight
What: Tethered helium-balloon that can elevate more than 20 passengers — weather permitting
Where: Downtown Disney, off Interstate 4, southwest of Orlando
When: 10:30 a.m.-11:30 p.m., Sundays-Thursdays; 10:30 a.m.-midnight, Fridays and Saturdays
Cost: $16 general, $10 ages 3-9.