By Phil Marty, Special to Tribune Newspapers
November 16, 2013
We present the Tribune Newspapers' Geography Challenge, timed to coincide with the National Geographic Society's Geography Awareness Week, Nov. 17-23. Many questions come from this year's National Geographic Bee (nationalgeographic.com/geobee), sponsored by the National Geographic Society for children in fourth through eighth grades.
(Getty Images photo)
1. Which country is bordered by Turkey and Saudi Arabia?
2. The Etosha Pan, a large salt pan that is the site of one of the world's largest wildlife parks, is in which country?
3. Mount Logan is the highest peak in which Western Hemisphere country?
4. Guayaquil, a port city from which coffee is exported, is in which country?
5. Porto, on the Douro River, is in which country?
6. Which city is farther north, Zagreb, Croatia, or Budapest, Hungary?
7. The Pont de Normandie, one of the longest cable-stayed bridges in the world, spans the mouth of which river?
8. The mountain K2 is on the border between China and which country?
9. The Painted Desert is in which state?
10. Machu Picchu is found in which country?
11. The Baltic Sea borders which continent?
12. The Isle of Man is in which body of water?
13. La Paz is the capital of which country?
14. Which state is known as the Beaver State?
15. Which country is bordered by Mexico and Guatemala?
16. Which country would you visit to see the ancient city of Petra?
17. The Comoros Islands are off the east coast of which continent?
18. Polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton is buried on which island east of the southern tip of South America?
19. The Pamirs and the Tian Shan are mountain ranges on which continent?
20. Which country has the larger land area, Egypt or Iran?
1. The Okavango Delta is in which country?
C. South Africa
2. Franz Josef Land is an archipelago that belongs to which country?
3. Which country is bordered by Lithuania and Germany?
A. Czech Republic
4. The Mesoamerican Reef, seasonal home to the whale shark, is off the coast of which peninsula?
A. Zapata Peninsula
B. Yucatan Peninsula
C. Osa Peninsula
D. Baja Peninsula
5. The Charles Darwin Research Station is on the second-largest island in the Galapagos. Name it.
A. Santa Cruz
6. Which city doesn't belong in this list?
7. The port city of Valencia, a major exporter of ceramic tiles, is in which country?
8. Ras Dejen, in the Simien Mountains, is the highest peak in which country?
9. The Tripolitania region is in this country.
D. Saudi Arabia
10. Which state does not border the Canadian province of Quebec?
C. New Hampshire
Match the country to the map outline
Canada, Portugal, Peru, Vietnam, New Zealand
Copyright © 2016 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC