You don't want to think about it and neither do I: the end of summer. Bummer.
However, there are some people — fashion experts, for instance — who actually enjoy thinking about fall and the things they (or we) can buy to stay in style for the new season.
I know it won't ease the pain of the end of vacation, packing up the flip-flops or going back to school or the office, but at least distract yourself by fantasizing over additions to your closet.
To get you started, I asked five trend watchers to tell me their three top wardrobe musts for fall.
Nordstrom fashion creative director
• Something in a luxe fabric like lace or a brocade (Ellen says: If a lace dress, top or skirt isn't your style, consider a scarf, a clutch or even a lace-look cellphone cover — Marc Jacobs for iPhone 5, $38, nordstrom.com)
• Knee-high boots: "With a mid to high heel. She's going to be able to do so much with that. In black. Or a flat equestrian boot, like a riding boot."
• Colorful coat: "They're so beautiful. Swing coats. Lots of color in coats! They're great things that women can actually wear over and over. It goes with everything."
Television commentator, style and shopping blogger, thebudgetfashionista.com
• Red pumps: "Think Dorothy and ruby red slippers."
• Black leather (or pleather) pencil skirt: "It's become the new basic black skirt."
• Skinny leather or stretch faux leather pants
More magazine contributing fashion features editor
• Something in cobalt: "Cobalt blue is the color of the season. I like a cobalt Michael Kors bag I saw on style.com." (Ellen says: The Kors bag is pricey; the one shown here is my frugal find.)
• A great coat: "It's the season of coats. Lots of menswear fabrics and menswear tailoring. Many are not lined. They hit a little below the knee. Wear it over jeans, wear it over a black dress."
• Ankle boots: "black and pointy toed and a chunkier heel. No hardware."
Kohl's vice president for trend
• Pullover sweater: "Patterned or intarsia"
• The perfect black pant: "We love the new classics. Essential pieces that every woman needs. …The perfect building blocks for your wardrobe."
• Motorcycle jacket: "The new classic topper"