16 slices jalapeño bacon
1/4 cup oil
16 serrano chiles
8 hamburger buns or jalapeño-cheese hamburger buns, split horizontally
8 leaf lettuce leaves
8 large slices tomato
8 slices habanero jack cheese
1. Working in batches, fry the jalapeno bacon slices in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crisp. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
2. In another skillet, add the oil and fry the serrano chiles until softened and browned. Be careful, because the oil will splatter as the chiles fry. Remove the chiles and drain. Peel and seed if desired, and slice the chiles into strips.
3. Prepare the barbecue or grill and heat over medium-high heat. Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray. Toast buns until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer buns, cut side up, to plates. Spread each bun bottom with some chipotle mayonnaise and top each with a lettuce leaf and sliced tomato.
4. Place the burgers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the burgers and continue to cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes longer for medium. Shortly before the burgers are done, top each burger with caramelized onion, the fried and sliced serrano chiles and a spoonful of habanero relish. Place a slice of habanero jack cheese on each burger and top with 2 slices jalapeño bacon. Continue cooking just until the cheese melts.
5. Place the burger patties on the bun bottoms, spread each bun top with a little more chipotle mayo and place over the burger. Serve immediately.
Each serving: 841 calories; 41 grams protein; 47 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams fiber; 54 grams fat; 15 grams saturated fat; 111 mg cholesterol; 14 grams sugar; 1,908 mg sodium.