Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
Note: This recipe is adapted from "Choice Recipes" by members of the Fruit and Flower Mission in Seattle.
1 pint cracker crumbs, divided
1 pint oysters, liquor reserved, divided
Salt and pepper
1 stick butter, melted plus more for buttering dish
2/3 cup whole milk
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a 9-inch by 5-inch baking dish and cover the base with a thin layer of crumbs, about 1/3 cup. Drizzle 3 tablespoons oyster liquor over the crumbs and cover with a layer of oysters. Season the oysters with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
3. Cover with another 1/3 cup cracker crumbs and drizzle over half of the melted butter. Add a second layer of oysters, then top with the remaining crumbs.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and milk, then pour the mixture over the crumbs. Drizzle over the remaining butter.
5. Bake until the oysters are firm and the edges are golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving.
Each of 8 servings: 276 calories; 9 grams protein; 27 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 15 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 93 mg. cholesterol; 1 gram sugar; 96 mg. sodium.