Total time: About 1 1/2 hours, plus cooling time for the corn bread
Servings: 6 to 8
Note: Adapted from "Stuffed Griffin" by the Utility Club of Griffin, Ga. The corn bread is adapted from Gourmet magazine.
Toasted cubed corn bread
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Separately, in a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and butter.
3. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture and pour into a greased 8-inch square pan. Bake until pale golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Cool 5 minutes, invert on a rack and cool completely.
5. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees. When the bread is cool, cut it into rough 1-inch cubes and place them in a baking pan. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the bread is dry and deep golden, about 20 minutes. (Recipe can be prepared to this point 1 day in advance and stored at room temperature.)