Hybrids and electrics
* The Honda CR-Z combines a sporty two-seater with hybrid technology. The best fuel economy rating is 35 mpg city and 39 mpg highway.
* The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid goes on sale late this year and the automaker predicts 37 mpg city and 39 mpg highway. The Sonata is a five-passenger sedan aimed at the Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry hybrids. Pricing has yet to be announced.
* Currently on sale, the Tesla Roadster is a full electric vehicle; the company claims the two-seater has a 245-mile range.
* The Chevrolet Volt is described by the automaker as an "extended range electric vehicle." Chevrolet says it can cover "up to 40 miles" on its electric batteries alone. But when the batteries are drained it switches over to a 1.4-liter, 4-cylinder engine that acts as a generator and provides electricity to power the Volt. It goes on sale at the end of this year and is expected to be available nationwide by next fall.
* The Nissan LEAF is a pure electric. When the battery runs down it stops. But Nissan says it has a range of up to 100 miles. It is a four-door hatchback, and Nissan says it will hold five passengers. It goes on sale early next year with a staggered introduction nationwide.
* Ford says it will introduce an electric version of its new Focus in 2011. Range is predicted to be up to 100 miles on a full charge.
* Mitsubishi says it will start selling its electric vehicle, the i-MiEV minicar, in about a year. The automaker says the four-passenger vehicle will have a range of up to 100 mpg
Looking way ahead
* Chrysler says it will introduce an electric version of its Fiat 500 in 2012. No other details were provided but the automaker said "pricing would be competitive with other electric vehicles."
* Toyota says it will have plug-in versions of the Prius hybrid on sale in 2012.
* Smart says it will have an electric version of its Smart fortwo in 2012. The range of the two-seater is expected to be about 80 miles.
* Toyota says it will have an electric version of its RAV4 sport utility in 2012. No details are available.
* Tesla says it will have a four-door sedan capable of going 300 miles per charge. No pricing information is available.
* Volkswagen says it will have an electric four-seater called the E-Up! on sale in 2013. The range is expected to be about 80 miles.