Total time: 45 minutes
FOR THE RECORD:
Cupcake recipe: A recipe for butter cupcakes in Wednesday's Food section omitted the oven temperature. The oven should be heated to 350 degrees. —
Servings: 20 standard cupcakes
1 1/2 cups (6.4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (4 ounces) cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 egg yolks, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed until the mixture is light and airy, about 5 minutes. Scrape the sides as needed for even mixing.
3. With the mixer running, mix in the whole eggs, then the yolks, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Mix in the vanilla until just combined.
4. Mix in the combined dry ingredients and sour cream, alternating between the two (one-third of the dry, then half of the sour cream, in stages) until both are thoroughly combined, being careful not to over-beat.
5. Evenly spoon the batter into 20 lined cupcake pans; the batter should fill each liner two-thirds to three-fourths full. Bake the cupcakes, one pan at a time and in the center of the oven, until the cupcakes have risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through for even baking.
6. Remove the pan to a rack to cool before frosting the cupcakes. The cupcakes are best eaten the same day they are made.
Each cupcake: 185 calories; 3 grams protein; 23 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 9 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 64 mg. cholesterol; 151 mg. sodium.
Recipe: Butter cupcakes
Butter cupcake (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)