Rice milk: 1 g
Sources: USDA nutrient database, food labels
Caribbean seafood stew on rice
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Note: Recipe developed by the Tribune test kitchen's Corrine Kozlak.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pound orange roughy or tilapia, in 1-inch cubes
1 cup each, chopped: onion, green bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
8 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
2 cups hot cooked rice
1. Stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, the lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add fish; toss to coat. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, green pepper, garlic and jalapeno. Cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown, 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juices and coconut milk; heat to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
3. Stir in shrimp, the fish mixture and cilantro; return to boiling over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until fish just flakes easily with fork and shrimp turns opaque, 5 minutes. Stir gently. Season to taste. Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with more cilantro.
Per serving: 474 calories, 19 g fat, 9 g saturated fat, 142 mg cholesterol, 35 g carbohydrates, 41 g protein, 642 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.
Brazilian coconut-rice pudding
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Note: Adapted from "Steven Raichlen's Healthy Latin Cooking" (Rodale Press).
1/2 cup golden or dark raisins
1/4 cup light rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract plus 1/4 cup water
3 cups water
1 cup arborio rice, rinsed until water runs clear
1 stick cinnamon, 3-inches long
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sweetened condensed skim milk
1 cup light coconut milk
2 to 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon each: grated orange zest, grated lemon zest
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup toasted shredded unsweetened dried coconut
1. Combine raisins and rum (or rum extract and water) in a small bowl; let soak, 15 minutes. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine water, rice, cinnamon stick and vanilla. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; simmer, covered, until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 20 minutes.
2. Stir in condensed and coconut milks. Add raisins and their liquid. Simmer, covered, until rice is very soft, 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, citrus zests and salt. Cook, 5 minutes. Add more sugar if desired. Cool pudding to room temperature. Discard cinnamon stick. Spoon into serving bowls or martini glasses. Refrigerate until cold. To serve, garnish with toasted coconut.
Per serving: 309 calories, 6 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 58 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 68 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.