Deep chocolate pudding
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 18 minutes
Chill: 30 minutes
Note: Adapted from Foodandwine.com.
1 cup each: heavy cream, whole milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons each: unsweetened cocoa powder, cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1. Whisk the cream, milk and egg in a medium saucepan. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt; add mixture to the saucepan. Heat to a boil, whisking constantly, over moderately high heat. Strain the pudding into a bowl. Stir in the butter and chocolate until melted.
2. Pour pudding into a glass bowl to cool. Press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding; refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
Per serving: 521 calories, 41 g fat, 25 g saturated fat, 153 mg cholesterol, 39 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 141 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 18 minutes
Makes: 18 to 20 cupcakes
Note: Author Nick Malgieri outlines how to turn any of his cake recipes in "Bake!" into cupcakes. This recipe applies those guidelines to his chocolate butter cake. Malgieri advises coating the top of the pans with cooking spray or butter so that the cupcake tops don't stick if they spread (and, remember, we want them to spread for the parfaits to get broad tops). The directions are for a stand mixer, but the batter can certainly be mixed with a hand mixer.
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 large eggs, at room temperature
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled
3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with 18-20 paper liners. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl; set aside.
2. Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on low speed until well mixed. Increase the speed to medium; beat until mixture is very light and pale in color, about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating smooth after each addition. Beat in the melted chocolate. Scrape the bowl and beater with a spatula.
4. Restart the mixer on low. Add a quarter of the flour mixture; beat until absorbed. Increase speed to medium-low; beat in 1/4 cup milk.
5. Repeat step 4, including the change of speed, two more times.
6. Stop and scrape; beat in the remaining flour mixture. Scrape again. Increase the speed to medium; beat 3 minutes.
7. Divide the batter among the lined pans, filling the cups to the top. Bake, 15-20 minutes. Cool before proceeding with parfait. (Enjoy remaining cupcakes as you like.)
Per serving: 206 calories, 10 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 47 mg cholesterol, 27 g carbohydrates, 3 g protein, 128 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.