Rise and shine
Scones (February 27, 2011)
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut up
2 tablespoons roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup whipping cream
1. Mix: Measure flour, oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the food processor. Pulse a few times.
2. Cut: Drop in butter chunks. Pulse several times, cutting butter down to pea-size (or smaller) bits.
3. Fold: Turn out into a large mixing bowl. Fold in dried fruit and seeds. Drizzle on cream a little at a time, folding with a flexible spatula, until dough clumps (you may not need all the cream).
4. Pat: Turn out dough (still a clumpy mess) onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Pat into a 11/2-inch-thick disk, about 8 inches across. Brush the top with a little of the remaining cream and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Slice dough circle into 8 wedges. Separate wedges by 1 inch.
5. Bake: Slide into a 375-degree oven and bake until set and golden, about 15 minutes. Enjoy warm or room temperature.
Provenance: Inspired by the popular Take a Hike Scone at Chicago's Bleeding Heart Bakery. This version drops the orignal's vegan convictions but retains the wholesome outlook.