Recipe: Mexican lasagna
Mexican lasagna. Recipe (Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times)
- The joys of Mexican vegetarian dishes
- 25 Cinco de Mayo recipes: Guacamole, tostadas, chile rellenos and more
- What's hot: 139 of the latest recipes from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen
- 26 years of our best recipes
- 155 recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes
- 127 wine picks by S. Irene Virbila
See more photos »
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Servings: 8 to 12
Our recipes, your kitchen: If you try this or any other recipe from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen, we would like to know about it so we can showcase it on our food blog and occasionally in print. Upload pictures of the finished dish here.
8 poblano chiles
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 onion, cut into rounds
1 cup corn kernels
1 chopped garlic clove
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable broth
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
15 ounces (1½ 10-ounce packages) cotija cheese, divided
9 pieces oven-ready lasagna
6 ounces quesadilla cheese (½ of a 12-ounce package), shredded
1. Prepare the chiles: Roast the chiles under the broiler or over a stove-top burner until the skin is charred on all sides. Peel the skin and seed the chiles, then cut lengthwise into long strips.
2. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the corn and chile strips, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until the corn and chiles are warmed through. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce and vegetable broth and heat until hot. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a food processor, combine the sour cream with two-thirds of the cotija cheese and blend until creamy but lumpy (this can also be done by hand in a large bowl, using the back of a spoon).
6. Line the base of a 13-by-9-inch baking or casserole dish with 3 lasagna noodles. Add one-half of the corn-chile mixture, distributing evenly over the noodles. Dollop one-half of the sour cream-cotija mixture over the corn and chiles. Place 3 more noodles in the pan, and repeat with the remaining corn-chile mixture and sour cream-cotija mix.
7. Place the 3 remaining noodles in the pan. Sprinkle the shredded quesadilla cheese and remaining cotija cheese over the noodles. Using a spoon, drizzle the thinned tomato sauce evenly over the noodles in the dish.
8. Cover the dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and golden, an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Each of 12 servings: 376 calories; 22 grams protein; 23 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 23 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 54 mg cholesterol; 3 grams sugar; 1,006 mg sodium.