Recipe: Zetas with garlic and Pasilla chiles
Zetas with garlic and Pasilla chiles. (Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times)
- The joys of Mexican vegetarian dishes
- What's hot: 139 of the latest recipes from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen
- 25 Cinco de Mayo recipes: Guacamole, tostadas, chile rellenos and more
- 26 years of our best recipes
- 155 recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes
- 127 wine picks by S. Irene Virbila
See more photos »
Zetas with garlic and Pasilla chiles
Total time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
Note: Pasilla chiles are available in Latin markets as well as the Latin section of many well-stocked grocery stores. Epazote, a fresh herb, is generally available at Latin markets.
Our recipes, your kitchen: If you try this or any other recipe from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen, we would like to know about it so we can showcase it on our food blog and occasionally in print. Upload pictures of the finished dish here.
2 to 3 Pasilla chiles
3 tablespoons olive oil, more as needed
1/4 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, sliced
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 dozen leaves of epazote, washed and cleaned
1/4 cup white wine
1. Prepare the Pasilla chiles: Place the chiles in a medium bowl. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil, then remove from heat and pour the water over the chiles. Place a plate over the chiles to submerge them, and set aside for about 10 minutes to give the chiles time to soften. Drain the chiles, then stem and seed them. Slice the chiles crosswise into thin rounds and set aside.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add the oil, then the onion, garlic and Pasilla rounds. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes. Off-heat, stir in the epazote and wine, then continue to cook, scraping the flavoring from the base of the pan, until the wine has mostly evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Each of 6 servings: 118 calories; 4 grams protein; 8 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 8 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 2 grams sugar; 13 mg sodium.