By Meredith Blake
12:14 PM EDT, July 9, 2013
Maybe after playing the fast-talking, high-minded news anchor Will McAvoy for two seasons now on HBO’s “The Newsroom,” Jeff Daniels is in the mood for a few fart jokes. Whatever the case may be, the actor was happy to announce on Monday’s “Late Night” that he is set to begin filming the sequel to “Dumb and Dumber” in September.
“Everybody’s there, Jim in particular. It’ll be so great to be with Jim Carrey again. He is just one of the best we’ve got,” Daniels said of his co-star.
In an apparent effort to make fans of the potty-humor classic feel ancient and a tad immature all at the same time, Daniels also noted that it will be the original film’s 20th anniversary by the time the sequel is released next year.
As for what the long-gestating follow-up, titled “Dumb and Dumber To” (not to be confused with the 2003 prequel, “Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd”), entails, Daniels assured fans it’s “hysterical,” and that while Harry and Lloyd have aged, they certainly haven’t gotten any smarter.
"We’re middle-aged and we’re still that stupid,” he said. (Cue the sighs of relief.)
“Dumb and Dumber,” released in 1994, helped cement Jim Carrey’s status as a major box-office star and became one of the decade's highest-grossing comedies (and also introduced America to the musical stylings of Deadeye Dick). Only last month, the project was in jeopardy after Warner Bros. passed, but thankfully the noble souls at Universal quickly scooped up the project.
The Farrelly brothers are also onboard to direct the sequel, but there's no word yet whether Carrey's severe bowl cut will be making a repeat appearance. One can only hope.
Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times