Vintage Wrigley Field
In 1914, a local businessman named Charles Weeghman bought land and built a ball park for the Federal League baseball team, known as the Chifeds. Weeghman Park opened in 1914 and two short years later, the Federal League would fold, the Chicago Cubs would call Weeghman Park home, and William Wrigley Jr. would be the proud owner of the Northside field. For most of the 1920s, Weeghman Park was simply called Cubs Park, even after it was officially renamed Wrigley Field in 1926. Starting in 1921, the famous field was also home to the Chicago Bears football team and many other events, such as wrestling, boxing matches, and society events.
In 1914, construction was underway for the first baseball season at Weeghman Park for the Federal League Chicago Whales team.