Vintage: Shedd Aquarium
In 1924 the Shedd Aquarium Society, led by Chicago millionaire John G. Shedd, asked the Chicago Park District for land at Roosevelt Road and the lakefront to build what would become the nation's largest aquarium, and first permanent inland saltwater exhibit. The Shedd Aquarium was completed on Dec. 19, 1929 and opened to the public on May 30, 1930. Today, it is one of the city's most popular attractions.
The John G. Shedd Aquarium under construction on Aug. 22, 1928. Construction workers broke ground on Nov. 2, 1927 and the aquarium was completed on Dec. 21, 1929.